Our Learn to Paddle at Paddle the Rouge is one of our favorite parts of the day. We created it as a way to help foster the love of nature through paddling in the next generation. Our Learn to Paddle is offered free, with thanks to our sponsors.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
- Arrive at Rouge Beach Park 45 minutes prior to your start time and proceed to registration.
- At check in your child/youth will be connected with his/her group leader. He/she will receive a training package and water bottle.
- You will be provided a site map to help navigate your way around the event.
- Make sure your child/youth puts on lots of sunscreen. Wearing a hat and long sleeved shirt is recommended.
- Remember to fill up your participant’s water bottle and have a snack.
- Your child/youth will be lead through a dry-land training portion before being suited up in life jackets and paddles.
- Kids 5-10 will be paired in groups of 3 and will paddle in a canoe with an instructor.
Kids 11-18 will be paired in groups of 5-6 and will paddle either a canoe or kayak.
- Kids will become familiar with the boat, learn strokes and skills.
- Groups will be led into the pond area and up the marsh channel.
- After about 1 hour on the water, participants will return to shore where your child will meet up his/her guardian/parent to enjoy the rest of the day on the beach.